- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cup of water
- ¾ cup of ghee
- 1 cup of coarse semolina (farina)
- ¼ cup of pistachio nuts - blanched
- ¼ up of almonds - blanched and slivered
- ½ tablespoons of ground cardamom or to taste
- 1 tablespoons of rosewater
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan and stir occasionally until dissolved, over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, and boil briskly for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and leave aside in pan.
- In a deep heavy pan heat ghee and add semolina.
- Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Semolina should not color.
- Pour hot syrup into semolina, stirring constantly.
- When smoothly blended, reduce heat and leave to cook, uncovered, until liquid is absorbed.
- Mixture should be thick but still moist at this stage.
- Stir in nuts, cardamon and rosewater to taste.
- Cover rim of pan with a cloth or 2 paper towels, put lid on tightly and leave on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave pan undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Spread halwau on a flat, lightly oiled platter and decorate with nuts.
- Serve warm or cold, cutting pieces into diamond shapes or squares.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.