- ½ lbs dried pitted dates
- ½ cup dark seeded raisins
- 4 oz dried apricots (unsulphured)
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, separated
- 2 each Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored, cut in 8ths.
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp each allspice and ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp each dark brown sugar and honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup each shelled walnuts and whole blanched almonds
- sweet red Passover wine
- Put all ingredients except honey, lemon juice nuts and wine in a 3 quart heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Mixture will remain thick but moist as fruit exudes liquid as it cooks.
- Let cool.
- Transfer mixture to food processor with honey, lemon juice and nuts.
- Coarsely chop in 4 or 5 on/off turns (do not overchop).
- Scrape thick mixture into a bowl.
- If desired, stir in wine to taste.
- Store in refrigerator in a tightly closed jar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.