This is really a rich vegetable purée, using full-flavoured root vegetables. It is ideal for vegetarians and low in calories.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder (optional)
- 8 ounces carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces celeriac, chopped
- 8 ounces swede, chopped
- 1 small turnip, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ pint hot stock
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons low fat fromage frais
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (to garnish)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large pan.
- Stir i nthe curry powder (if using) and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables, cover and cook for 4– 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Pour on the hot stock, bring to the oil and then simmer for 25 minutes or until very tender.
- Leave to cool slightly, then sieve into the fondue pan.
- Place the fondue pan over its lighted spirit stove and warm through.
- Season to taste with the nutmeg, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the fromage frais and garnish with the chives.
For dipping Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.