Arabian stuffed vegetables - Everyone in the Middle East loves stuffed vegetables. I believe they are a desert invention. This recipe is not difficult to prepare and the results are redolent of the Arabian Nights!
- This recipe is for 4 serves.
- ½ lb finely ground lamb
- ½ lb finely ground beef
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground allspice
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
Vegetables for stuffing Edit
Choose any of the following or any combination. The mixture will fill:
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed out for stuffing.
- 6 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch lengths, hollowed out with a corer, placed on end for stuffing.
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and cored and seeded for stuffing.
Cooking sauce Edit
- In a 2-quart covered saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice, return to the boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- Mix the cooked rice thoroughly with the stuffing ingredients.
- Fill the vegetables loosely with the rice mixture. It will expand during cooking, so do not pack; leave room at the top or the sides. Arrange the vegetables in a covered deep skillet.
- Simmer, covered, along with the water, tomato sauce and lemon juice on stovetop over low flame (30 minutes for bell peppers and zucchini; 20 minutes for tomatoes).
- Check water to see that it is not evaporating. If it gets low add more hot hater.