This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Malik Estate in Greenville, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 pound boneless pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 3 frozen banana leaves thawed
- 6 cups water divided
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using small sharp knife cut ¼ inch deep slits 1 inch apart all over pork roast.
- Rub salt all over pork.
- Unfold 1 banana leaf on work surface and place pork roast atop leaf.
- Fold up leaf around pork enclosing completely.
- Repeat wrapping pork in remaining banana leaves 1 at a time.
- Tie with kitchen string to secure then wrap roast in foil.
- Place pork in roasting pan then pour 4 cups water into pan.
- Roast pork in oven until very tender when pierced with fork about 5 hours.
- Unwrap pork and cool slightly.
- Shred pork and place in large bowl.
- Bring remaining water and salt to boil in small saucepan.
- Add liquid smoke then pour over pork and stir to blend.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.