Meat and Fish Rub devised by Zvia, an Afghan street vendor in New York
- 3 tbsp black peppercorns
- 3 tbsp cumin seed
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Grind all the ingredients together with a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Rub this spice blend all over beef, pork, or chicken 2 hours prior to grilling.
- It also adds a pungent flavor to tuna, swordfish, bluefish, and bass; rub it on both sides of the steak or fillets about an hour before grilling.
- In both cases, the rub can be left on the meat or fish while grilling to make a blackened seasoned crust.
- It can also be stirred into boiled rice or summer soups to taste.
- Makes about ⅓ cup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.