Using a 1/3-cup substitution of applesauce for 1/3-cup vegetable oil and using 6 egg whites instead of three whole eggs eliminates 715 calories and 87 grams of fat in the recipe.
- 1 box conventional cake mix
- 1 tablespoon flour
- applesauce to substitute for vegetable oil
- 6 egg whites
- water as directed
- Oil desired size(s) of pan(s) to prevent sticking.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of flour into cake mix.
- Proceed with recipe on box, substituting applesauce for oil, and egg whites for whole eggs.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Cool pan on rack.
- Remove cake from pan(s) and garnish with berries or sliced fruit, such as peaches.
- Applesauce, Canned Unsweetened by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.