Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound turkey sausage or other low-fat smoked sausage, sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans Cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 x 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 15-ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoonhot pepper sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir 7 to 10 minutes or until sausage is browned and onion is tender.
- Add rice, tomatoes, beans, oregano andhot pepper sauce.
- Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes more until well blended and thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
- Calories 466 | Protein 21g | Fat 7g | Carbohydrate 80g | Dietary Fiber 4g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 1235mg