This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Ampere Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1981.
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup dates chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat together first 5 ingredients.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add oatmeal and combine all together.
- Stir in dates.
- Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.