I have varied the dry ingredients radically, depending on what i have around the house. When I don't have molasses, I increase the amount of honey and other liquids. No matter what I do to this recipe, it always seems to turn out great.
- ½ cup rolled oats (can be toasted first by putting thin layer in pan and baking at 350 °F for 15 – 20 minutes, or until lightly toasted)
- 1 pack rapid-rise yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar, brown or white only
- 3 tbsp. oat bran
- 2 tbsp. non-fat dry milk powder
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tbsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. wheat germ
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat wet ingredients until very warm (125-130 °F) and stir into the dry mixture.
- Let the batter sit for about 20 minutes, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add more milk or water to get them to the consistency, depending on while going to turn them into waffles or pancakes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.