- 2 large or 4 small hearts
- 4 oz bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 oz lard (fat)
- 1 pt stock
- 12 small white onions, peeled
- Wash the hearts, slit open, remove any large blood vessels or gristle and wash again.
- Fill with a stuffing made of bread crumbs, chopped onion, melted butter, ground ginger and seasoning.
- Tie the hearts firmly together in their original shape with string, dredge with seasoned flour and brown quickly in the hot fat.
- Place in a casserole dish with the stock, cover and bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for 2½ hours, basting and turning them frequently.
- Add the onions for the last 45 minutes of the cooking time.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.