- butter - 75 g (3 oz)
- onions - 2 medium sliced
- carrots - 4 medium sliced
- parsnips - 2 cut into chunks
- cauliflower - 1 small cut into florets
- courgettes - 4 sliced
- tomatoes - 6 skinned, roughly chopped
- plain flour - 50 g (2 oz)
- milk - 450 ml
- vegetable stock - 300 ml
- dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- wholemeal self raising flour - 100 g (3 oz)
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - tsp
- cheddar cheese - 75 g (3 oz) grated
- mustard powder - 1 tsp
- Melt 50 g (2 oz) butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, carrots and parsnips and sauté lightly for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Add the remaining vegetables.
- Blend the flour with 300 ml milk and add to the vegetables with the stock, mixed herbs and seasoning.
- Bake at 200 °C / 400 °F / gas 6 for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place wholemeal flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Rub the remaining butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in half the cheese, mustard and a little milk and mix to a soft dough.
- Roll out on a floured work surface until 1.5 cm thick and cut into rounds with a 5 cm fluted cutter.
- Place the scone rounds on top of the vegetables and brush tops with remaining milk and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes until scones are golden brown and vegetables are cooked.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.