- 1 shallot
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup Italian medium-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (approximately)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 leaves sage
- 12 sprigs thyme
- 12 leaves tarragon
- 12 leaves marjoram
- sea salt and black pepper
- Peel and chop the shallot.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and cook the shallot until soft.
- Wash and thoroughly drain the rice and add to the pan.
- Stir around until coated with fat, then pour on 1¾ cups of heated stock.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the saffron, crushed bay leaf and the finely chopped herbs to ¾ cup of the stock and pour it into the rice.
- Cover again, and cook gently until the stock is absorbed.
- If the rice is tender, season with salt and pepper and serve, otherwise, add the remaining stock and continue to simmer until cooked.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.