Spiced cherry soup
- 1 lb sweet red cherries
- ½ lemon rind
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 x 3-inch stick cinnamon
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 lemon slices
- commercial sour cream
- 3 cups water
- Day before or early in day: wash cherries; remove stems.
- With vegetable peeler remove rind from lemon in strips; stick cloves into rind.
- In saucepan combine cherries lemon rind with cloves cinnamon sugar salt water.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Gradually stir in tapioca; bring to a boil; then remove from heat; stir in wine allow to cool.
- Remove and discard lemon rind cloves and cinnamon; then refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve ladle ice-cold soup into individual soup bowls or plates; top each serving with lemon slice and a spoonful of sour cream (or if preferred stir in cream).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.