Fried puff squares
- Makes about 2 dozen
- ½ cup (¼ lb) butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp orange juice
- 3 tbsp ice cold water
- cooking oil
- sugar to sprinkle
- Mix the butter and flour with two forks.
- When well mixed, add the salt, sugar, juice and water and blend.
- Without touching the dough with your fingers, roll it out and fold it in half.
- Repeat this operation two more times and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Roll out very thin and cut into diagonal strips.
- Make a slit in the center of each one.
- Deep fry in hot cooking oil until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle sugar generously over the squares.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.