Ukrainian cabbage rolls
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup ground cooked meat
- 2 cups rice
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 large onion - minced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter or bacon fat
- salt and pepper
- Remove the cabbage core with a sharp knife.
- Place the cabbage in a deep pan and pour boiling water into the hollow of the core.
- Cover completely with boiling water.
- Let stand until the cabbage leaves are soft and pliable.
- Individually separate the cabbage leaves.
- Cut off the hard center stem from the leaves.
- If the leaves are really large, cut in half or in three.
- Wash the rice thoroughly.
- Add salt to the 2 cups of boiling water.
- Add the rice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn the heat off.
- Let stand until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- (the rice will only be partially cooked) saute the onion in butter or bacon fat.
- Add the meat if used and cook together for a few minutes.
- Combine with rice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool this mixture.
- Line the bottom of a large baking dish with a few large cabbage leaves.
- Place a spoonful of rice mixture on each half of the leaves and roll up.
- Arrange the rolls in layers.
- The rolls should be small.
- Sprinkle each layer with salt.
- Mix the tomato juice and sour cream.
- Pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with a few large leaves.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350°F for 2 hours or until the cabbage and the rice kernels are done.
- The rice kernels should be separate and not mushy.
- Place the hot holoobtsi on a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped crisp bacon.
- Serve with any meat course.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.