Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 6 to 8
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, low-fat or whole
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- vanilla wafer cookies
- 3 to 4 bananas, ripe but firm
- sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- banana slices for garnish
- mint sprigs, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and flour; stir to blend.
- Slowly stir in milk until smooth.
- Pour into the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks; gradually whisk in about 1 cup of the slightly thickened hot milk mixture.
- Return egg mixture to the double boiler, stir in the vanilla and butter, and continue whisking and cooking until well thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In tall dessert glasses or a 2-quart serving dish, make a layer of vanilla wafers then sliced banana.
- Spoon some of the pudding over the banana layer then layer more vanilla wafers and banana slices, topping with more pudding.
- Serve with whipped cream topping.
- If using short dessert dishes, use only one layer each of the wafers, banana slices, and pudding, and then top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Garnish each serving with a few slices of banana and a mint sprig if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.