This is the Dutch equivalent of eggnog and literally translated means "lawyer". This traditional Dutch beverage is always served during the Christmas season. Serve in a lovely glass and provide the guest with a small spoon for consumption of the beverage.
- 10 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 275 grams finely granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 400 ml brandy (brandewijn)
- Beat the yolks, salt and sugar until the mix is creamy and thick.
- Very slowly pour in the brandy, but keep on beating the mixture.
- Pour the mix into a heavy saucepan and heat gently, whisking constantly until the advocaat is warm (not hot) and thick.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a clean bottle.
- The advocaat should be thick enough to scoop with a spoon to eat.
- It usually is served with whipped cream.
- Despite its appearance, advocaat is viewed as a beverage.