To use in place of canned cream soups in casseroles or as a base for your own soups. Much lower in fat and salt than the canned versions. The trick is to have it made up ready to use!
- Makes 9 servings with less than 1 gram fat per serving.
- 2 cup powdered non-fat milk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup (or less) instant chicken (or vegetable if you prefer) boullion
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp basil leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- ½ tbsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To substitute for one can of condensed soup: combine ⅓ cup of dry mix with 1¼ cups of cold water in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add to casserole as you would the canned product.
- I think you could probably vary the spices to suit your own taste or the type of casserole you were making.
- Mushroom soup: add ½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- Celery soup: add ½ cup minced celery
- Potato soup: add 1 cup diced potatoes, cooked
- Chicken soup: add ½ cup diced chicken, cooked
- Vegetable soup: add ¾ cup mixed vegetables, cooked
- Broccoli soup: add 1 cup chopped broccoli, cooked
- Asparagus soup: add 1 cup chopped asparagus, cooked the variations are endless, limited only to your imagination.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.