- 1 pkg dry active yeast
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2¾ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour or coarsely ground rye flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp crushed fennel seed
- olive oil for brushing breads
- Combine yeast and water in bowl of electric mixer.
- Let rest until foamy, about 15 minutes.
- Using paddle attachment, incorporate flours into yeast mixture.
- Beat in salt and fennel seeds.
- Switch to dough hook and knead for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove dough and place into lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover dough with plastic and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 8 balls, about 3 ounces each.
- Place balls on floured cookie sheet, cover with damp towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Dust work surface with flour and roll balls into 7-inch-round disks, dusting with flour, as needed.
- Prepare hot charcoal or stovetop grill.
- Lightly brush disks with olive oil.
- Place disks, oiled side down on grill.
- The breads will begin to rise almost immediately.
- When brown, flip over, brush again and cook until brown.
- Remove from grill.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.