- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 7 1/2-.8 c. flour
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 2 Tbs. shortening
- poppy or sesame seeds
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Combine Sugar, shortening, salt, and water together and let cool to lukewarm.
- Add in yeast mixture.
- Stir in flour.
- Knead 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic
- Place in greased bowl, turning once.
- Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest 15 minutes. Divide dough in half.
- On floured surface, roll each half to a 12"x15" rectangle. Roll up, starting at 15" edge.
- Place loaves on greased cookie sheets and make 4 or 5 slashes diagonally across tops.
- Let rise until double.
- Mix egg and milk and brush on top of bread.
- Sprinkle on poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.