I have not tried this dish but cooking cauliflower for 20 minutes is just too long. I would advise 10 minutes tops to keep its bright color and not become mushy.
- Contributed by Judi M. Phelps
- 1 lbs boneless, chicken breasts, skinless and trimmed of all fat
- ½ tsp salt, optional
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp tub-style margarine, canola or corn oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¼ cup chicken broth, defatted and divided
- 2 tbsp mild honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste optional
- 1½ cup cauliflower florets
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1¼ cup long-grain white rice uncooked
- Cut chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, if desired, and pepper.
- In large nonstick, spray- coated skillet, cook chicken pieces over medium heat, turning frequently with large wooden or plastic spoon, 7 – 10 minutes or until they begin to brown and are cooked through.
- Remove and set aside in medium bowl.
- In same skillet, combine margarine, onion, garlic, and 3 tablespoons broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 6-7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- If liquid begins to evaporate, add a bit more broth.
- Add honey and lemon juice to pan with onions, and stir to combine well.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth and salt, if desired.
- Stir in reserved chicken, cauliflower, and carrot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Combine water and cornstarch.
- Stir into simmering sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in mustard.
- Simmer an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- Arrange rice on large serving platter.
- Top with chicken and sauce.
- Or serve individual portions over rice.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 271 | fat: 3.5 g
- Exchanges: veg 2 | bread 2 | protein 1
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.