This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pinion Estate in Mesquite, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 small acorn squash halved width wise and deseeded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces honey
- 4 ounces dried figs chopped
- 1 ounce chopped almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place squash cut sides down in shallow ovenproof dish and add enough boiling water to come to a depth of ½ inch.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat then add the honey, figs, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Carefully pour off water from baking tin containing squash and turn squash cut sides up.
- Fill the hollows with fig mixture then return to the oven uncovered and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.