Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup dried blackeye Peas
- 1/2 pound rindless slab Bacon, in one piece
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Barely cover Peas with cold water and soak overnight. Drain.
- Cook Bacon in water about 1 hour.
- Add Peas, garlic, Onion, salt and pepper. Cover and continue cooking for 1 hour or until blackeyes are tender.
- Remove Bacon, slice, and set aside, keeping it warm.
- Drain blackeyes, if desired.
- Add rice and fluff lightly.
- Serve with sliced Bacon.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.