- 1 kg fresh hot chile peppers (preferably a mix of red, green yellow. mostly yellow scotch bonnets)
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped (approx 2 – 3 pegs or more to own taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh finely chopped pawpaw, unripe (green papaya)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- Peel and finely chop all vegetables.
- Stem and seed peppers—plastic gloves should be worn as the oil from the peppers has been known to blister skin.
- Combine all ingredients in small/medium pot.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boil over high heat and cook briefly and briskly for 1 minute (until onion transparent and peppers soft and limp).
- Add more vinegar if needed.
- Pour contents into blender-- hand held can also be used.
- Blend at high speed until pulverised (some prefer pureed).
- Cool at room temperature.
- Pour into cleaned boiled and sterilized jar only.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.