Cook Time: 4
Serves: 25 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans non-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
1.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
2.Stir in chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
3.Add chicken and cabbage. Return to boiling then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
4.In a small bowl, stir together the water and corn starch then stir thoroughly into the soup. Let simmer for 3 minutes then serve.
- Hot and Sour Chicken Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle and King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain