Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 2 Loaves
Traditional Hungarian Christmas Dessert. It is absolutely yummy. Preparation time is the time that the dough needs for rising.
- Check Out More Authentic Hungarian Recipes
- ¾ + ¼ cup warm milk
- 8 g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 200 g butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 400 g walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine ¾ cup warm milk, 8g sachet dried yeast and 1 tbs caster sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Process 3 cups plain flour, 200g butter, cubed and 2 egg yolks in a food processor until breadcrumbs form. Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the yeast mixture. Knead until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover and set aside for 45 minutes.
- Process 400 g walnuts, 1 tsp cinnamon and 5 tbs caster sugar in a food processor until finely ground. With the motor running, add ¼ cup warm milk until a smooth paste forms.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Knead the dough until smooth, then halve. Roll each portion out to a 13cm x 24cm rectangle. Spread with the walnut filling. Roll up. Slightly flatten to about 7cm wide. Place on a lined baking tray. Brush top with 1 egg, beaten. Stand 20 minutes. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.