Coconut curry from the Maldives
- 500 g coconut (grated)
- 75 g fennel seed
- 50 g cumin
- 150 g dried chilli peppers
- 25 g peppercorns
- 50 g cinnamon
- 50 g cardamom
- 15 g cloves
- 20 g turmeric powder
- 100 g onion (sliced)
- 20 g garlic (sliced)
- 30 g ginger (sliced)
- 6 cherry peppers
- 2 bunches curry leaf
- 2 rampe leaf
- Mix all the ingredients.
- In a large wok toast the coconut curry mix over a low heat until the coconut has turned golden brown.
- When toasting the ingredients it is necessary to stir the contents at regular intervals to ensure even browning of the coconut.
- Toasting of the curry mix is best done in small quantities at a time as if done in large quantities it may result in the curry mix being unevenly toasted.
- Once toasted, let cool.
- Dry grind the mixture to a semi-coarse stage.
- Keep in an airtight container until required.
- To make coconut curry paste blend the required amount of ground coconut curry mix to a smooth paste.
- Use as required.
- This curry paste can also be used raw without toasting.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.