The key ingredients in this dessert are the ice cream, rice cereal, shredded coconut, and nuts. This sweet, ice-cold dish is great for other desserts and keeps a soothing taste with the ice cream. Puffed rice often replaces rice cereal and works for this too.
- 8 cups ice cream, any flavor
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal or (3 cups puffed rice)
- 2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 ½ cups toasted chopped nuts
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- sliced coconut meat, optional
- Soften ice cream in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together cereal, coconut, nuts, sugar and butter.
- Spread half of the cereal mixture into the bottom of baking dish then spoon ice cream over top smoothing with back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining cereal mixture over top and freeze until set.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes then cut into squares. Serve cold and plain. Top with the sliced coconut meat, if desired.