Some traditional Icelandic desserts can be difficult to make in America because they require ingredients not easily available. But here´s one recipe that is very popular and very traditional and very easy. Actually, we would rather have pancakes for a coffee party than for dessert - but they are a delicious dessert also.
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla OR lemon extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- whipped cream
- Whisk eggs and milk together.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix egg mixture into it, until the batter is absolutely smooth.
- Add Sugar and vanilla or lemon extract.
- Melt the butter in the pancake pan but do not let it change color. Add to batter when melted. Pour a couple of tablespoons of batter on one side of the pan and turn it around until the batter covers the surface. These crepes should be as thin as possible.
- When the crepe is golden brown, turn it and cook for a few seconds on the other side. Turn on a plate to cool and cook the rest of the crepes. Spread some jam on the center of the cooled crepes, add a large dollop of whipped cream, fold in half and then fold again to make a triangle. Arrange overlapped on a plate and serve.