Icelandic roasted lamb with sauce.
- ½ oz dried portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 tbl butter
- 16 button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp crumbled dried rosemary
- ½ tsp crumbled dried leaf sage
- ½ oz blue cheese
- 2 tsp red currant jelly
- ½ cup light cream
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tsp bitters
- Trim excess fat from lamb.
- Rinse, dry roll and tie kitchen string.
- Rub rosemary and pepper all over the meat.
- Wrap and refrigerate until 30 minutes before cooking time.
- Roast lamb at 350 °F for about 90 minutes (temperature should register 130 °F on a meat thermometer inserted in center of the roast).
- Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- To prepare sauce (which may be made a day in advance and gently reheated) let dried mushrooms soak in boiling water for five minutes.
- Drain through a paper coffee filter cone, reserving liquid.
- Sauté button mushrooms in oil and butter over medium high heat for three minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add herbs, cheese, jelly, cream, seasonings, drained dried mushrooms and ½ cup of the reserved mushroom liquid.
- Just before serving, add bitters and heat through gently.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.