- Source: Better Homes And Gardens
- Prep: 15 Minutes | Cook: 30 Minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (15 or 19 ounces) garbanzo beans, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch strips or sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooked bacon pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onions
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 beef bouillon powder
- ¼ cup sour cream or shredded Cheddar cheese
- snipped chives (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine tomato juice, undrained garbanzo beans, water, potato, lentils, carrot, bacon pieces, onion, chili powder, and the bouillon powder.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Spoon into bowls.
- Top with sour cream or cheese and sprinkle with snipped chives, if desired.
- Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.