Vegetarian stuffed eggplant
- Serves 4
- 4 small eggplants, washed and dried
- ⅛ cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water, more or less as needed
- Cut a 1-inch-deep slice from stem end down the length of each eggplant.
- With small spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving about ¼-inch wall around sides.
- Set scooped-out pulp aside.
- Sprinkle inside of shell with salt, and turn upside down on work surface for about 1 hour to drain.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant pulp, onions, garlic, and peppers, mix well, and fry until onions are soft.
- Reduce heat to simmer, stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and parsley.
- Add salt to taste, mix well, simmer for 5 minutes longer, and remove from heat.
- Rinse eggplants to remove salt, pat dry, and place side-by-side in baking pan.
- Fill each with eggplant mixture.
- Pour about 1 inch of water in baking pan with eggplants and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until eggplants are tender when poked with fork.
- Serve hot or cold as a main dish. Each person is served a whole eggplant.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.