- 1½ cups (about 10 oz) crumbled TVP
- 2 cups vegetarian, chicken-flavored stock
- 16 leaves bibb or butter lettuce
- 16 Peking pancakes
- 1 small onion, minced (about ½ cup)
- 8 water chestnuts, minced
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stemmed and minced
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 tsp regular or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying plus
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 2 oz rice noodles
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- Place TVP in bowl, cover with chicken-flavored stock and set aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, separate lettuce leaves, and rinse well.
- Pat dry, and place in two stacks of 8, putting smaller leaves on top.
- Use cleaver to shape lettuce leaves into circles about 4 inches round.
- Stack, and refrigerate until needed.
- Wrap pancakes in damp towel to prepare for steaming.
- Place onion, water chestnuts, mushrooms and peas in separate piles on large plate, and set aside.
- Drain TVP, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Combine 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, salt, sugar and egg yolk in mixing bowl.
- Stir in TVP, and set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, water, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper and rice wine in small bowl, and set aside.
- Heat oil for deep-frying to 400°F, or when rice noodle placed in oil instantly puffs up.
- Separate noodles, and carefully place in oil.
- Using skimmer or slotted spoon, turn noodles over immediately, and cook for total of 10 seconds.
- Remove from oil, and drain on paper towels.
- Place cooked noodles in center of serving platter, and place two stacks of lettuce circles at each end of platter.
- Place wrapped pancakes in steamer basket, and heat over boiling water for 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Fold softened pancakes into quarters, and place overlapping around platter.
- Heat wok over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and stir-fry marinated TVP for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Using slotted spoon, remove from oil and place on plate.
- Add another 2 tbsp of oil to wok, stir-fry onion until soft and add remaining vegetables.
- Return TVP to wok, and mix.
- Stir sauce mixture, and add to wok. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, and pour onto noodle nest on platter.
- Place two Chinese ceramic spoons in mounded “pigeon meat” for serving.
- To serve, top pancake with lettuce round.
- Spoon noodles and filling onto lettuce, and roll up taco-style to eat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.