These instructions for making roux, I'm told, have merited the approval of Cajun cooks all over the net. As you all know, roux plays a very big part in cajun cooking - it's in *so* many Cajun recipes.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Slowly sprinkle in the flour a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Continue to stir constantly.Do not walk away! If you burn it even the tiniest bit, it is unusable.
- You will notice the flour beginning to brown. The darker the flour, the darker the gravy.
- For gumbo, when the roux reaches a deep dark chocolate brown color it is done.
- At that point you would add your seasonings, such as onion,garlic, bell pepper and celery.
- You can make this ahead of time and keep tightly covered in the fridge or freezer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.