This is the spinach Filling often found in those Turkish savoury pastries known as borekler.
- 750g fresh spinach or 1 (250 g) package frozen spinach, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta Cheese, crumbled (beyaz peynir)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Clean the fresh spinach well removing damaged or discolour bits.
- Chop coarsely. Place fresh spinach in a large pan, cover and put over medium heat for 7–8 minutes.
- Cook only until wilted.
- Place fresh wilted or defrosted frozen spinach in a sieve and press with the back of a spoon to extract moisture.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Gently fry the Onion in the oil until transparent and add this to the spinach with Cheese, egg and Parsley.
- Combine ingredients thoroughly, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.