Makes 6 servings.
- 1 x 14½-ounce can no-salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 x 6-ounce can no-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced into ¼-inch slices
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 cup low-fat low-salt ricotta cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part skim milk shredded mozzarella, divided
- Combine stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, water, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder in 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-low heat until hot. Cook Eggplant slices 6 to 8 minutes or until soft. Reapply cooking spray as necessary. Transfer to warm plate; set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Re-coat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Cook chicken 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is no longer pink. Combine sauce with cooked rice.
- Cover bottom of 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray with eggplant slices.
- Top with half of chicken; 1½ cups rice mixture, ½ cup ricotta cheese and ½ cup mozzarella Cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 °F for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.