Description[edit | edit source]
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- chocolate cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Garnish: pecan halves
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat butter and shortening until creamy; gradually add Sugar, beating well.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. #Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Stir in coconut, chopped pecans, and vanilla.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 325 °F., for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove cake layers to wire racks, and cool completely.
Contributed by[edit | edit source]
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.