Be sure to cut vegetables into similar sized pieces for even cooking. Don't overload your wok or skillet. Cook in small batches, if necessary, to ensure you stir fry rather than stew. Make sure and prepare all your ingredients ahead of time since once you get the wok or skillet hot, the action happens fast!
- 3 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound well-trimmed pork loin, cut into ½-inch thick strips
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ⅓ cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup eggplant, peeled, diced small squares
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup tomato juice or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked pasta shapes
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ⅓ cup basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large non stick skillet or wok.
- Sauté pork strips for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove pork and set aside.
- Add remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet or wok and heat.
- Add the onion, peppers, celery, carrot, eggplant, garlic, Italian seasoning, fennel seed and red chili flakes and sauté for 5 minutes, adding a little water to prevent sticking.
- Add tomatoes and tomato juice and continue to sauté for 3 minutes longer.
- Add cooked pork, cooked pasta shapes, spinach, basil and salt and sauté 2 minutes longer to heat through.
- Serve in large bowls over toasted bread rounds, polenta, or cooked rice.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (266 g-wt.):
- 230 calories (100 from fat) | 11g total fat | 3g saturated fat | 14g protein | 19g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 4g sugar) | 35 mg cholesterol | 520 mg sodium