Description EditThe key savory ingredients for this side dish are the vegetable stock, butter, rice, cheese, and Italian seasoning. This Italian side dish is great with other side dishes or appetizers.
- 800 ml. vegetable stock
- 50 g. unsalted butter
- 275 g. risotto rice
- 175 g. mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 6 shallots, finely sliced
- ½ cup mixed herbs, chopped (parsley, basil and oregano) or (4 tablespoons Italian seasoning)
- 1 finely grated large orange
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Heat the stock in a large saucepan and keep on a constant simmer.
- Melt butter in another saucepan and add rice stirring to coat all the grains; just add stock, one ladle at a time until absorbed.
- Continue until the rice is tender but still firm, approximately 18–20 minutes.
- Add mozzarella, shallots, herbs, orange zest, Parmesan, salt and pepper; mix and remove from the heat and allow to cool; the rice is much easier to shape when it is cool.
- Shape the rice into 8 balls.
- Dip each ball into the beaten egg and coat well, then roll in the breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs into any areas that may look a bit bare.
- Heat oil in a large pan, then add the rice balls and cook until golden all over; you can do this in two batches if necessary.
- Drain well on the kitchen paper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.