I found this in a magazine and I made changes to make it more flavorful and more "Italian". My husband loves this so much he reheats it for breakfast! Some crusty bread and a glass Italian red wine, " Mama Mia " what a meal!
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 5¾ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped escarole or spinach
- ½ cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- ⅓ cup finely chopped carrots
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In medium bowl combine, meat, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil and onion powder; shape into ¾" balls.
- In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, orzo, carrot and meatballs.
- Return to boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.