This soup is really wonderful, I did triple the garlic and add more red pepper flakes, but this does not taste like diet food (but it in fact it is)! Enjoy! Use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan.
- 1½ lbs Swiss chard or escarole or beet leaves, trimmed (i used kale)
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (i used half of each)
- 1-5 cloves garlic (I'm sure I used at least 5!)
- 1 cup cooked white beans or canned white beans (i used great northern beans; cannellini or other white beans would work too)
- kosher salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to finish)
- red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Boil greens for about 5 minutes, just till tender, and then plunge into water to stop cooking.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside (you can do this step before you make the rest of the soup.).
- Bring broth to simmer in large pot over med-high heat.
- Add garlic and greens, and beans (if using canned, rinse and drain to rid the excess sodium!) Simmer gently for about ten minutes, partially covered.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Pass cheese and pepper flakes at table.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.