- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes (up to 1 cup white potatoes can be substituted)
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup smooth Peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon Sugar (optional)
- 1 cup chopped scallions or chives
- Saute the onions in oil until just translucent.
- Stir in the Cayenne and ginger.
- Add the carrots and saute a couple more minutes.
- Mix in the potatoes and stock.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the vegetables with the cooking liquid and the tomato juice.
- Return the puree to the soup pot. Stir in the Peanut butter until smooth.
- Taste the soup. Its sweetness will depend on the sweetness of the carrots and sweet potatoes. If it is not naturally sweet, add just a little Sugar to enhance the other flavors.
- Reheat the soup gently, using a heat diffuser if needed to prevent scorching.
- Add more water, stock, or tomato juice for a thinner soup.
- Serve topped with plenty of chopped scallions or chives.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.