- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped finely
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 oz peanut oil
- 2 lbs pumpkin (or yellow squash)
- 2½ lbs halibut, filleted, cut in ½- to ¾-inch slices
- 1 cup coconut, peeled and cut in 1-inch strips
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 2 quarts water
- the water from the coconut
- 1 x 6 oz can tomato paste
- In a 6-quart dutch oven or casserole baking dish sauté yellow onions, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper in peanut oil until soft but not brown.
- Peel pumpkin.
- Cut in 1 inch slices and lay over the onions.
- Place halibut carefully over the pumpkin.
- Arrange coconut over the fish.
- Pour white rice over the coconut and sprinkle with salt.
- Combine water with the water from the coconut and tomato paste.
- Pour this liquid into the pot carefully so as not to disturb contents.
- Cover tightly and allow to cook gently for about 30 minutes or until rice, fish, and vegetables are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve directly from the dish in which it is cooked.
- Do not stir before serving.
- Section out portions, cut through, and remove with a wide spatula.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.