- Slice the yams into pieces that are about ½ inches (1.5 centimeters) in width.
- Peel the skins off the yams.
- Rinse the yams.
- Place the yams in a pot and add enough water to cover it.
- Cook the yams for about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes or so to see if the yams are soft enough (a fork should be able to go through with ease).
- Drain the yams and either (in both cases below, if you are making a large quantity, you may want to work on a portion of it at a time)
- Put in a mortar, and pound with the pestle until it is smooth and forms a soft dough.
- OR put in blender and blend until it forms a soft dough.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.