- 1¼ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1 level tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 well-beaten egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 x 15-ounce can cream-style corn
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 3 jalapeno chiles, chopped or diced
- 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 3 tbsp chopped pimento
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and paprika in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine egg, milk, shortening and corn.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and saute onions, chiles and pimento until onions until tender.
- Add this to the rest of the mixture.
- Mix well, but don't over do it.
- Add cheese and blend in.
- butter an 8-inch square pan and pour mixture in.
- Heat oven to 400°F and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool, then cut into serving pieces.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.