- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- strawberry preserves or apricot or date filling
- Sift first five ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth and well blended.
- Roll out on floured board until ⅛" thick. Cut into rounds with cookie cutter.
- Place tablespoon of filling in center of half of rounds. If you wish, cut a decorative design in other half of rounds. Top filled rounds.