Description[edit | edit source]
There are many, many variations of pepper Pot Soup. This version contains chicken, although one could easily change to beef, by using diced lean Beef and beef broth. The cream of coconut gives the soup a sweet flavour and the Scotch bonnet pepper spices it up. The flavour is actually better the second day when reheated.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounces) package frozen okra, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup cream of coconut (not coconut milk)
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Fry bacon over medium heat in large stock pot.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes or until done.
- Return bacon to pot.
- Add vegetables, spices and chicken broth.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cream of coconut and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls.
- Suggested garnishes: sprig of thyme, slice of lime, chopped scallion, thin slice of scotch bonnet pepper.