- 2 cups coarsely chopped mixed dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cherries, figs or dates)
- 1 cup dark rum
- ½ cup dark beer
- 2 sticks (1 cup) margarine
- ¾ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- Place dried fruit into medium bowl and pour over rum and dark beer.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch round cake pan.
- Transfer dried fruit mixture with liquid to food processor or blender and process until a smooth pulp is formed, about 10 seconds. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together margarine and Sugar with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, molasses and baking powder.
- Stir in flour, then pureed fruit until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.