Bonito fish stock. A staple for Japanese cooking and recipes. I make a lot and freeze the extra into ice cubes to have on hand when I need it.
- Wipe konbu once with damp cloth and cut into strips.
- Do not wipe off white residue as it dries.
- Bring konbu strips and water to a boil over medium heat; remove konbu.
- Add ¼½ cup ice water to stock to stop boiling.
- Add bonito flakes and return to boil; then remove from heat.
- When bonito flakes have all sunk from top, strain stock through cheesecloth or coffee filter placed over sieve into another pot.
- Use as directed in recipes.
- Freeze excess for later use, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.